Saturday, September 24, 2016

We have finished day thirteen again with all the miles complete!  As of now, my Indian is in 14th place!  This has not been without some difficulties to the other riders. Turns out there was a misunderstanding that caused the first place rider to get a penalty which sent him to 21st place.  Others have had bike problems costing them miles.  Kevin keeps chugging along in second gear most of the time which leaves him a bit frustrated yet he gets the day done in time!

Yesterday we left Williams, Arizona with a beautiful clear sky!  It was a chilly start at 43 degrees but the end of the day will be in the 80's in Lake Havasu, Arizona.


As we got out on the road it was terribly windy!  Of coups we were sent on the interstate while the riders got to enjoy the historic Route 66.  I learned later by some riders talking there are still a number of the Burma Shave signs along the route.  Evidently if you have seen the movie "The Fastest 
Indian" they have a scene about them.  Well let me tell you, there was nothing like that on I 40!  
Needless to say, Paul and I had a boring ride most of the way.  I did think the was one section as we cut through the mountains that was amazing.  

As we neared Lake Havasu, Paul told me the story of the town.  It was founded in 1964, the founder bought the London Bridge in 1968 AR a public auction, and it was completed in 1971.  



Here it is, in it's new home!  And when you view it up close, every brick has a number on it to assure it is placed correctly.  
Here is a view of the lake from one of the public areas.  Palm trees on a lake!  How tropical!  


We went to the town park area where the bikes came in, what a great crowd!  Kevin had some friends form Phoenix drive up to see him!  Thank you Chuck and Tina, as well as Warren.  We were given a nice taco dinner buffet here as well.  The crowd was wonderful,  and yes a few more parents are cursing us for the kazoos!
We found out one of our fellow Nebraska riders got in an accident today.  Thankfully all is well!  The rider is a bit banged up and the bike is in rideable but we are so thankful nothing worse.  We are happy to say they plan to continue on this hard journey.  
Everyday I am proud and more so thankful of my Indian's progress.  The boys have been able to put just a few adjustments into the bike at the end of the day without long hours.  
Tonight I once again got to have a bit of my favorite time, social hour!  I was fully intending on going to the room until I stopped to talk to another team. (hard to believe!).   Very nice gentlemen, I love this time of day! 






1 comment:

  1. I should have commented earlier since I've been following your blog daily (and have been disappointed whenever you missed a day). I have a very tiny connection to your Indian. Earlier this year I gave Kevin the capacitors he has in his magneto as well as stress-tested the coil for it and the backup. So, I claim 0.001% of the credit for the success.

    ReplyDelete