Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Tuesday, September 25

I forgot to add that we ate breakfast at Bulldog Diner in Rufus, Oregon.  It was right off the interstate and the first place you see when you take the exit.  There were a few other people in there, friendly waitress, no background music, big space, and a beautiful bathroom.  Kevin order the eggs Benedict and I got an omelet filled with hash browns, cheese, sausage, onions and green pepper with pancakes on the side.  Kevin's eggs were poached perfect and he "really liked" his meal.  My pancakes had just the right crispy edges and done perfect!  My omelet was filling and exactly what I was hungry for.  So if you're out that way I hope they are still around as it is a little hole in the wall stop.

We drove until we hit the Salt Lake area where we stopped for super at The Grille in Tremonton, Utah.  It was about a mile of the interstate but it met all the other criteria-not a chain, not something we can go to at home and not fast food!  The wait staff was very friendly. I took one of her favorites, the chicken cordon bleu with coleslaw and tater tots while Kevin got the meatloaf sandwich with sweet potato fries.  My chicken was good but just slightly hotter than warm-the cheese was hot enough to be melting, the coleslaw had a hint of spice and Dijon mustard, the tots were nice and crispy and the roll was good.  Kevin liked his sandwich. The meatloaf filled the entire sandwich and was probably about 1 1/2 inches thick!!  The fries looked amazing but I did not try one.  It was a nice stop and break.

Kevin said he was still good driving so on we went!  He drove until I thought I saw him nodding!  I had got a power nap in and took over the wheel until we needed fuel.  We traded a few more times and I got the last leg from Ogallala to Fort Calhoun.  Not much to see in the dark and most of you know the terrain of Western Nebraska.

almost home, Kearney Gateway Arch


Time for sleep in our own bed!!

Just a few items I forgot to mention but thought interesting:



- Patience did amazing!!  She needed some attention but not nearly all that she got in 2016.  Kevin did a great job getting her in running condition and with having gone the distance before knew her tendencies and had minor issues to deal with (if you ask me!)  

- travelling with engineers is always interesting and the things they notice compared to me, yep I learn some stuff I didn't know I needed to :)

- along the road in Connell, Washington they have a fenced trail with metal flowers along for decoration!

- evidently huckleberry is big in western Montana area as there was huckleberry everything!  I did not get any but probably should have!

- there is a housing area called Desert Gardens along I-84 without anything visibly green!  and a walking path around nothing but sloping hills of desert

- the restroom in the fuel stop 20 miles west of Laramie, Wyoming is filthy!

- the spirit and determination of the riders and the courtesy of the support crews among each other is amazing

- this is not a sight seeing trip so it great to get the quick chances to catch one

- there is so much high desert in the west!  I knew but did not image how much it really covers

- there are wineries and breweries ALL over Western Oregon!  (nope, didn't stop at any but did try some of the beer at restaurants) 

- the motovan is a bit trickier driving in the wind and around curves than I imagined!

- I just realized how little seafood I ate!!  (now I'm bummed!)

- and most important, if you really want to see this great land...get off the interstates and take the highways!  I know from the riders photos and videos they had the much more scenic drives.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for keeping this blog Brenda, checked it every day along with the two ADVRider threads to follow along as the Cannonballers crossed the country heading towards us. Get lots of questions wearing our T-shirts around Spokane too! Looking forward to 2020

    ReplyDelete